Friday, March 19, 2010

Shoe (boot) repair...horse not human

Wednesday night I took Buddy for a ride. You may remember that Bud wears Old Mac G2 boots on all four hooves when we ride our trails. (very rocky in our woods). When we got back to the barn I was removing his boots and I noticed that the one buckle on the one boot was tearing. Bummer. These things are not cheap. $139/pair. And I had just bought them last season...so they were nowhere near ready to be retired.

I am outside the time limit to return them to easycare (defective or not) so I was facing a costly replacement. Until a lightbulb went off in my head. (it's a compact flourescent...btw) I decided to have Mark take the broken boot to the guy that does all of our shoe (as in human shoe) repair. I mean why not? It's a buckle for goodness sakes...and this guy has done great work repairing the MANY muzzles that Cheyenne has managed to destroy. I laugh sometimes...thinking this man likely never imagined that he would one day be repairing a muzzle (for horses). Side note...he only charges $5 to do the repair. Yowza!

So you can only imagine my delight when Mark called me yesterday to inform me that the boot repair would only cost $5. YOWZA! I plan to take pictures of the repair once the boot makes it back to the farm. It is scheduled to be completed on Tuesday. I can't imagine it won't be a fabulous repair. I'll be sure to report back.

Now...what to do with all that money I saved. Hmmmmmm.