Monday, February 8, 2010

Scarey night for Buddy (and Mark and Me)

Last night when I was about to bring the horses in for dinner, I noticed that Buddy had laid down to roll. I was not alarmed by it because the horse have been enjoying the snow. But this quickly changed when I caught Cheyenne to bring her in and Buddy was not on her heels. (he always comes in with Cheyenne). When I glanced back I noticed he was up but pawing the snow. Uh oh. I shifted into medic mode. I quickly got Cheech in and then grabbed Buddy. I knew we were in trouble when I put him in his stall and he immediately started pawing. I yelled for Mark and grabbed Bud's halter. Mark immediately took him out to start walking. I gave him 1gm of Banamine and called my vet.

Remember it is Sunday night (around 6) and the Super Bowl is on. I left a message on the answering service and within 5 mins had a call back. I love my vet. He took down the info I had to offer, told me to keep walking him and said he'd be here shortly. His farm is about 20 mins away and he was at my farm within in a half hour. He listened for gut sounds and took blood. He then gave him a shot of banamine (in the vein) and we took Buddy inside for a rectal.

The manure he pulled out did not look bad...but Dr. H thought it had not been moving as quickly as it should be. He was not surprised that horses were not consuming enough water. He was happy to see that I had heated buckets. He removed 3-4 handfuls of manure and then we turned Buddy around and tubed him with warm water and oil. From that we got lots of gut sounds...a good sign. Buddy was showing signs of being more comfortable too.

We walked him for a few more hours. Last night we kept horses in and by morning Buddy had produced 2 nice piles of manure. Believe what was just on the other side of the blockage. So things were moving. He got 1/2 of his morning ration with TONS of water. Doc noted the importance of getting things moving again.

So now I am on poop watch. Looking for the oily manure that shows what was pumped into him last night is moving out. I have my binoculars as the horses are out to pasture now. Dr. H also mentioned that Buddy moving around was best. He produced another nice pile as soon as we turned them out and one more just before he headed up the hill.

This am Mark and I installed another water trough complete with a heater...anything to encourage them to drink. Kris...what is the name of that stuff you put on your horses feed to encourage drinking? Quench? I want to buy some.

I was so scared last night...I kept flashing back to the night Quest died. Luckily this time I caught it early and I don't think it was caused by a stricture...but more dehydration.

Now I plan to double up on the water I put on my feed (which is already alot). And Mark and I plan to change out buckets out after every feeding...to encourage them to drink since the water will be super fresh. And we added the heated tub.

I'm so tired...and therefore so happy my boss closed my office. But I'm the happiest that Buddy is okay. Okay...gotta go watch for poop.